Sunday, March 3, 2013

Moab, Utah. Part Two




"The earth has music for those that listen."
-George Santayana





Coreopsis daisy.


Desert Primrose.


"Zen Cypress". One of my favorite photos. Took it with a 10.5mm fisheye lens. Got way down low below it on my back, reclining on a stair-step shelf and shot up into the the little tree. From what I remember, it was about 4 foot tall, mas o menos.


Fins photographed from waaay above down to waaay below in the Canyonlands area. Shot with a telephoto lens and then cropped close in Photoshop to detail and accentuate the fins.


Park Ave. To me, Park Ave. is one of the most spectacular and stunning geologic features of Arches National Park. The fins are thin, long behemoths that dwarf the canyon and hiking trail below. When hiking below them on the canyon floor trail and looking up, my impression of them was they were reminiscent of a giant stegosaurus back studded with huge armor plating.


And of course, Utah's most well-known feature, Delicate Arch. Its image can be found on many a Utah license plate.

I hiked up there in the late afternoon to capture this shot, along with another 50-100 or so people with the same intent, or there just to visit and stare at this wondrous natural sight. There is a natural sandstone bowl (with long natural benches even!) facing the arch. I would have to say that at least half of us were serious photographers, all decked out with carbon fiber tripods, multi-megapixel DSLR cameras and backpacks and bags full of camera related tchotchkes. All the other folks seemed normal.

While sitting there after setting up my tripod and camera and waiting for the light to get better, I was looking around at the audience and was hit by a remarkable scene before me of the resemblance of a scene aping the original Planet of the Apes, starring Charlton Heston.

That wraps up Moab, Utah. Next we venture into the realm of monochromatic photography.


No comments:

Post a Comment